- About the LJS
- Place of Prayer
- Place of Meeting
- Place of Learning
- What's on
- Contact Us
The Liberal Jewish Synagogue, founded in 1911, is the oldest and largest (over 2,000 men, women and children) of more than thirty congregations belonging to Liberal Judaism.
The LJS has a tradition of leadership of the Liberal movement, its rabbis have been involved in writing the liturgy, and excellent musical accompaniment has long been a feature of the services. Rabbi (later Dr) John Rayner became Assistant Minister in 1957 with Rabbi Edgar, and then from 1961 until his retirement in 1989 Senior Rabbi and the leader of Liberal Judaism. Rabbi David Goldberg succeeded him and is now Rabbi Emeritus. Rabbi Alexandra Wright has been Senior Rabbi since 2004.
From its inception there was a Religion School, with correspondence classes for children who could not attend; and a flourishing Youth Group (The Alumni Society) started in 1918.
Membership in 2010 is around 2,000, the largest of the Liberal congregations.
Over 50% of our members are in the 30-55 year-old age range. A full range of activities is provided for all ages.